Derelict Crab Trap Rodeos > Volunteer Info & Sign-up
DERELICT CRAB TRAP RODEOS
Volunteer Info & Sign-up:
Volunteer registration begins at 8:30 a.m., and participants are asked to return to the dock by 3:30 p.m.
- Supplies, including gloves, grappling hooks, knives, tarps, and bags are available to volunteers. Please return all durable supplies so they can be used again.
- Volunteers are requested to return to the disposal site no later than 4:00 p.m., as staff will need time to tidy up the grounds and secure equipment.
- At lunch we will have a brief ceremony with preliminary counts and door prize announcements. Lunch will be served around 12:00 p.m.
- Please do not remove or handle any traps found outside of the crab trap closure area.
- All crab traps remaining within the closed area during the crab trap closure shall be considered abandoned and anyone is authorized to remove these abandoned crab traps.
- Crab fishermen are allowed to temporarily store and stack their traps within the closure area; please do not remove these.
- However, if you find a line of baited and actively fished traps, please do not attempt to remove these but instead contact Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries officials with the location.
- Crab traps may be removed only from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- Authorization for access to private property can only be provided by individual landowners.
- All retrieved traps must remain within the closure area and be surrendered at the collection site(s). None may be retained or taken home.
- It is important that we document and count all retrieved crab traps.
- Traps also may be dropped at the designated drop-off points for pick up later. Please let us know at the marina an estimate of the number of traps you left at these designated points.
- “Golden crabs” have been placed in 3 traps. If you find a “golden crab”, please return it to the marina for a prize!
In case of emergency:
Contact information for Louisiana Sea Grant: Dr. Julie Anderson, 815-757-7112 or firstname.lastname@example.org