Derelict Crab Trap Rodeos
Volunteer Info & Sign-up
Terrebonne Basin: A dedicated volunteer day will be held on Saturday, February 6, 2021, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Leeville public boat ramp located off of Hwy 1 and at the end of Old Hwy 1. You may contact the Peyton Cagle at 337-491-2575, or [email protected] for directions. To better coordinate volunteer activities, volunteers are encouraged to register in advance.
- Supplies, including gloves, grappling hooks, knives, tarps, and bags are available to volunteers. Please return all durable supplies so they can be used again.
- Please do not remove or handle any traps found outside of the crab trap closure area.
- All crab traps remaining within the closed area during the crab trap closure shall be considered abandoned and anyone is authorized to remove these abandoned crab traps.
— Crab fishermen are allowed to temporarily store and stack their traps within the closure area; please do not remove these.
— However, if you find a line of baited and actively fished traps, please do not attempt to remove these but instead contact Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries officials with the location.
- Crab traps may be removed only from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- Authorization for access to private property can only be provided by individual landowners.
- All retrieved traps must remain within the closure area and be surrendered at the collection site(s). None may be retained or taken home.
- It is important that we document and count all retrieved crab traps.
- Traps also may be dropped at the designated drop-off points for pick up later. Please let us know at the marina an estimate of the number of traps you left at these designated points.
In case of emergency:
Contact information for Melissa Crouch at 225-765-2923 or [email protected]