Derelict Crab Trap Rodeos
Prevention & Education
Tips for Preventing Derelict Crab Traps:
- Don’t intentionally cut buoy lines.
- Always check lines, knots, and buoys for proper function.
- Avoid setting traps in navigational areas
- Make sure traps haven’t drifted into areas of high traffic.
- Properly discard of unfishable traps.
- Attach a common float if you accidently sever someone else’s buoy line.
- Remove traps before predicted major weather events.
- If possible, use easily degradable cull rings or hog rings to prevent ghost fishing.
- Secure traps to boat while navigating.
- Report derelict traps.
** Remember, only the licensed tag holder or their agent can remove derelict traps.