Derelict Crab Trap Rodeos
Louisiana Sea Grant (LSG), working with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) and community volunteers, is on a mission to clean coastal waters of derelict crab traps.
Derelict traps are those that have been discarded, lost or abandoned in the environment. Traps can be accidentally lost if they become separated from their buoys by storms or passing boats. Many continue to fish, ensnaring blue crabs and other important aquatic species. Additionally, these wire mesh enclosures pose a potential navigation hazard to boats and can become entangled in other fishing gear like shrimp trawl nets.
In addition to removal, the project includes an educational element designed to reduce the number of traps lost annually and to lessen the impacts of traps in the environment. Data were also collected on the number and types of animals found in the recovered crab traps.
- CANCELLED — Terrebonne Basin: A dedicated volunteer day will be held on Saturday, February 6, 2021, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Leeville public boat ramp located off of Hwy 1 and at the end of Old Hwy 1. You may contact the Peyton Cagle at 337-491-2575, or [email protected] for directions. To better coordinate volunteer activities, volunteers are encouraged to register in advance.
Planned Derelict Crab Trap Closures for 2021
- Pontchartrain Basin: The first closure will take place in the Pontchartrain Basin, in an area west of Delacroix to the Mississippi River, from 12 a.m. Monday, February 1, 2021, through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, February 14, 2021.
- Terrebonne Basin: The second closure will take place in the Terrebonne Basin, in an area west of Bayou Lafourche, from 12 a.m. Monday, February 1, 2021, through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, February 14, 2021.
- Vermilion Basin: The third closure will take place in the Vermilion Basin, in an area in East Cote Blanche Bay, from 12 a.m. Monday, February 1, 2021, through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, February 14, 2021.
- Pontchartrain Basin: The fourth closure will take place in the Pontchartrain Basin, in an area east of Delacroix to the MRGO, from 12 a.m. Monday, February 22, 2021, through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, March 7, 2021.